God has called His people in Clackmannan Parish Church, under His guidance, to be a congregation committed to sharing Jesus' Word and Love with the community.
© Clackmannan Parish Church of Scotland
Charity registered in Scotland no. SC002324
Hosted by HostCentric UK
All Rights Reserved, June 2015
Clackmannan Parish Church of Scotland
A place of worship seems to have been founded where the present church stands, or thereabouts, around 680AD when St. Serf passed through the area and established places of worship in the small communities along the Hillfoots on the south side of the Ochil Hills. Whether these were some primitive buildings, or simply consecrated gathering points is not clear, although small wooden worship booths are likely.
The first record of a clergyman was Robert, Curate of Clackmannan, in 1195. He was almost certainly seconded from Cambuskenneth Abbey near Causewayhead in Stirling, and is thought to have been the chaplain to King Alexander II. It is very likely that by that time there was a stone church on the site. In the 1240s the Pope was concerned that many churches still retained their Celtic consecration. He sent a Papal Legate to England to encourage the proper dedication of church buildings there. The Legate was not sent to Scotland, which had a separate hierarchy, but the instructions came north, and the Bishop of St Andrews, David de Bernham, spent the years 1245 to 1249 dedicating 140 churches in his care. They included great buildings like St Giles in Edinburgh, St John's in Perth, and St Michael's in Linlithgow, The very last one he dedicated, on 24th August 1249, was Clackmannan.
That church lasted for another 600 years, though the Kirk Session records of 1795 say that it was in a poor state of repair, and hardly fit for worship. It was then, under the ministry of Dr Robert Moodie, plans were drawn up to build the present church. It was constructed around the old building, which was used until the present building was at roof level. The new building was opened for worship on 24 August 1817. The foundations of the old church are still beneath the present building, the gallery pillars resting on them.
When the church was dedicated in 1249, it was dedicated to St Serf, but the present building, opened for worship in August 1817, was called St Andrew's on the Hill, However, there were divisions in the church in 1788 and 1843, which saw two other congregations being formed in the village. These both continued until 1932, when they joined together again. At that point, while others gave up their buildings, St Andrew's on the Hill gave up its name and became, as it is today, Clackmannan Parish Church.
Clackmannan Church and its Ministers
Very little is known about the early days -
Since the Reformation reached Clackmannan and the first reformed minister, the Revd John White, took office, many of the incumbents of the Parish Church have served long ministries (details can be found here); the present minister is the 27th since 1562.
The names on the Roll of Ministers carved into the oak panelling inside the Church include those of the other two churches -
The stained glass windows are a particular feature of the church -
Interior of current church building